It is soul-satisfying to know that God is mindful of us and ready to respond when we place our trust in Him and do that which is right. There is no place for fear among men and women who place their trust in the Almighty and who do not hesitate to humble themselves in seeking divine guidance through prayer. Though persecutions arise, though reverses come, in prayer we can find reassurance, for God will speak peace to the soul. That peace, that spirit of serenity, is life's greatest blessing. - Ezra Taft Benson, “Pray Always,” Ensign, February 1990
2 Nephi 25:29– And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out.
Energizer: Righteous desires* inspired by today’s quote.
How would your life be better if each ‘desire’ below were true for you? When you see one you’d like to acquire, or one that’s already true for you, add a “yes” at the end and notice how it feels.
- I would believe in Christ and accept Him as my personal Savior. (yes)
- I would believe His way is the right way and the only way back to my Heavenly Father’s presence. (yes)
- I would never deny Him. I would bear testimony of Him. (yes)
- I would bow down before Him and worship Him with all my might, mind, and strength, and my whole soul. (yes)
- I would believe His promise that I shall not be cast out, no matter how hard the adversary tries to tempt me to believe otherwise. (yes)
I’m grateful to have a friend in Jesus Christ who knows and understands everything I feel. I’m thankful I can be His friend as well by striving to keep His commandments. I know He lives and atoned for our sins and loves us unconditionally. Of this I bear witness.
- Grandpa Tony
* “Each of us will stand to be judged of Him according to our works and the desires of our hearts.” (The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles)
The “I would” format for the energizer activity above was inspired by the following lyrics of the LDS Hymn, Lord I Would Follow Thee: “I would be my brother’s keeper. I would learn the healer’s art. To the wounded and the weary I would show a gentle heart.”
If you’d like, you can think of a favorite statement above as an expression of a desire of your heart, or come up with a better one of your own. This activity is spiritually energizing for me, but only every time I do it. May it prove to be so for you as well.
“But while one portion of the human race is judging and condemning the other without mercy, the Great Parent of the universe looks upon the whole of the human family with a fatherly care and paternal regard; He views them as His offspring, and without any of those contracted feelings that influence the children of men, causes ‘His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust’”(Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 4:595).